Michael Wilcox: Bass lessons in Berkeley and Oakland, California
Intensive Foundational Studies
Take advantage of the shortcuts an experienced teacher can show you — the feedback youtube, a book or video can’t give you.
Teacher with over 25 years experience. Five years Adjunct Faculty at San Jose State University.
Some topics covered:
- Technique, Rhythm studies, Reading, Theory. Most styles and all levels.
- Focus on establishing good technique, bio-mechanical individuality and correcting bad habits.
- Studio in Emeryville near Oakland and Berkeley.
- All levels and most styles accepted.
- Former Jazzschool faculty member.
- Google Talkbass for some recent comments!
- See what former student Jeff Schmidt (winner of the Bass Extremes International Contemporary Solo Bass Competition) had to say. http://archive.basssessions.com/dec05/jeffschmidt.html
Since moving to the Bay Area in 1986 Michael Wilcox has toured, performed, recorded and taught extensively, appearing on over 30 CDs, along with television, commercial and radio work.
He has toured with the Pickle Family Circus and The San Francisco Mime Troupe; written articles for Bass Player and Strings magazine.
He was an Adjunct Faculty Member in the Jazz Department at San Jose State University and taught at the California Jazz Conservatory (formerly the Jazzschool Institute) in Berkeley.
Michael played all three seasons with the Transcendental Theater Company and currently performs with the Michael Wilcox Trio, Distant Intervals and the Sheldon Brown Ensemble. Their premiere of Blood of the Air sold out its 2014 summer SF Jazz debut.
In 2015 he will be performing with Evolutions In Jazz: A Walk Through Jazz History.
He is working on an instructional methods for electric bass and improvisation.
Michael can be reached at 510-849-2277